Re: for all you high end surround heads out there

Subject: Re: for all you high end surround heads out there
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 17:57:59 -0000
--- In  Lang Elliott <>
wrote:

> And the Holophone design won't do this for me.

Agreed it won't do it for me either.
If I wanted to mic a quartet and put the mic in the center then maybe.

I will just describe my personal favorite to add to the mix on this
thread.

Critters are often found most dense in oval shaped territories.
Often where there is a critter highway between two good land areas.
This is why I started playing with linear arrays.

Try placement of a binaural (take your pick of sass, square barrier,
million dollar man head, whatever) place that in the center or most
important area you can find.  Then, place two omni mics each 25 to 50
feet out to the sides from the binaural to form a line. Exact spacing
is determined based on loudness of the voice of individual callers
and just listening for the sweet spots.

The binaural is the left and right fronts, and the omnis are the
rears.
The benefit is a large area of capture where the rears expand the
image from the fronts, add species density to the whole recording,
and no channel gets in the way with any other.

Rich Peet