Re: for all you high end surround heads out there

Subject: Re: for all you high end surround heads out there
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 12:36:58 -0400
From: Lang Elliott <>

> Walt:
>
> They use DPA 4060 series miniature mikes in the pro unit. I just checked and
> found these little mikes have a whopping A-weighted noise rating of 23dbA,
> clearly unsuitable for nature applications. You can find specs at
> www.dpamicrophones.com, under their miniture microphone classification.

I'm pretty sure when I checked it out a few years ago it was using the
same mikes. Or ones with the same specs.

Ok if the sounds you wish are loud enough. From all 360 degrees.
Otherwise needs to be quieter mics.

For that kind of money it could be studded with MKH-20's.

I also agree with your comments on surround. And how new designs are
needed. If you are going to move from stereo to surround, you want the
quality of the experience to be better, it's a lot of hassle for a so-so
experience.