Re: Database

Subject: Re: Database
From: Jeremiah Moore <>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 11:55:12 -0700
I started a palm-based field logging database some years ago (prior
to Filemaker for Palm there was a palm app called Jfile, and a
filemaker conduit for it, which I still use).  I found the palm way
to fussy for entering notes in the field.  I do however to this day
use it for timesheets, feeding back into my main filemaker timesheet
database.

In the field I've taken to using a little notebook, ultimately
logging back onto the disc or dat labels.

-jeremiah

>From: Jeremiah Moore <>
>

>>  I use Filemaker and have for ten years.  The file format is
>>  proprietary, though it's very easy (and scriptable) to import and
>>  export to any ordinary format.  Also incredibly easy to customize.
>>  The other big plus is that it's totally cross-platform, which access
>>  is not.
>
>Cross platform includes the Palm OS. I have my Filemaker database along
>in the field when I need to check things. In my shirt pocket (along with
>photos, sound clips, etc. also on the Palm) I don't have all fields from
>the big database, though I could. I have a script set up to format up
>just what I want, Just the data fields I'm likely to need. It would be
>possible to have the database in the Palm set up for data entry, use it
>in the field and sync the main database with a push of a button when
>back. If I trusted computer gear that far...
>
>As it is, I prefer regular written cards in the field, and do the entry
>into Filemaker at home. That is helped in that my data entry field
>layout is the same as the card layout. Field sizes appropriate to the
>data they may contain. I use very few abbreviations or cryptic codes.
>And many fields are entered out of pop up menus from lists of
>appropriate entries for that field, or just spell checked from such a
>list. Saves a lot of tracking down data entry errors. I also use
>repeating fields in the database. And have several different display
>formats set up.
>
>There are big advantages of capable modern databases.
>
>I do also maintain periodic text dumps of the data. Just to be safer.
>
>And, if all else fails I have the ultimate computer backup. The original
>hand written field cards. No computer problem can touch them.
>
>Walt
>

>"Microphones are not ears,
>Loudspeakers are not birds,
>A listening room is not nature."
>Klas Strandberg
>Yahoo! Groups Links

jeremiah lyman moore | san francisco | sound+media |
http://babyjane.com/timeweb/
http://northstation.net/ organic, mechanized, organized sound