Re: [Hydrophone recording in Hawaii (was: Best...)

Subject: Re: [Hydrophone recording in Hawaii (was: Best...)
From: "David Kuhn" <>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 19:12:36 -0000
--- In  Walter Knapp <>
wrote:
> From: "fieldrecordist" <>
>

> > I wonder if the hydrophones record sounds in water which are
> > simply the atmospheric sounds, like the little clicks/scrapes,
that
> > one hears while scuba diving, etc, not only just whale or dolphin
> > vocal sounds.

Walt:
> You will get all the sorts of things you hear while scuba diving.
Which
> in Hawaii means you will get lots of snapping shrimp. Though I've
never
> recorded with a hydrophone in Hawaii to be sure,

Hi Walt, Olivia,
Indeed snapping shrimp dominate any underwater soundscape in Hawaii
unless you get in deeper water (over 100'). I get out on the water
frequently here and use these shallow-water recordings for
detecting/documenting the presence of singing cetacceans, mainly
Humpbacks. Otherwise the recording is not of much use--THOUSANDS  of
clicks per second, like bad short-wave reception.

I use a couple of mics from Aquarian Hydrophone
http://www.afabsound.com/aquarian.htm  which I find work well
--I'm still working on a portable stereo set-up with a 3' baffle--but
find the biggest problem is keeping good connections, so I record
mostly in mono.
Aloha!
David

David Kuhn