Re: Filtering Techniques

Subject: Re: Filtering Techniques
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 15:14:35 EDT
Well, I have used CoolEdit for several years and there is NO EASY way to
filter. The noise reduction program does not work well and even the times I=
 have
used better ones in the studio they often come out sounding like Martian
Landscapes. I have learned the hard way the best filtering is the least fil=
tering.
it is so tempting to cut off everything in the low base that is not at the =
Hz
of the bird song..but then you have a tin like recording.

My best advice is to go to spectral view to see where the sound is that you=

are interested in and determine where the bad ambient sounds are. Then use =
the
FFT filter to carefully decrease the bad sounds. Set up a couple of base
settings on the FFT preset for 0 both log scale and regular and work off th=
ese. I
had several presets (2000, -15 etc.) but lost them when my 1.2 crashed.

There is no quick, easy way to filter. If there is..please let me know !

John

John V. Moore Nature Recordings