Re: Filtering Techniques

Subject: Re: Filtering Techniques
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 16:15:44 -0500
Maybe check the archive for "EQ."  And yes, filtering is not easy,
but it is rewarding when the unique characteristics of a recording
start to shine through. Is there a noticeable delay in your
monitoring by chance?  When you move the break point around, can you
hear the affect on sound almost simultaneously? Slow monitoring
response can really make equalizing much harder. I was playing with a
friend's Cool Edit application a few weeks ago and the built-in EQ
plug seemed to have a considerable delay between making an adjustment
and hearing it. Maybe someone on the list with low latency monitoring
using the CE EQ dsp can make some suggestions about the version, OS,
audio card, the amount of RAM they're using.

I have a huge Martian landscape collection, mostly from making these
mistakes: (1) Trying to "remove" a sound/bandwidth rather than
balance it more naturally with the frequencies around it. (2)
Forgetting to set the monitor level at the volume I plan to use it in
the mix (3)  Not addressing the most offensive sounds first or
concentrating on one end of the spectrum too much and failing to
consider the overall balance. (4) Forgetting to switch a setting in
and out to assess the net affect  before I move on to another
bandwidth.  Rob D.

At 3:14 PM -0400 6/22/04,  wrote:
>Well, I have used CoolEdit for several years and there is NO EASY way to
>filter. The noise reduction program does not work well and even the
>times I have
>used better ones in the studio they often come out sounding like Martian
>Landscapes. I have learned the hard way the best filtering is the
>least filtering.
>it is so tempting to cut off everything in the low base that is not at the=
 Hz

--
Rob Danielson
Film Department