Re: Filtering Techniques

Subject: Re: Filtering Techniques
From: Marty Michener <>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 17:51:11 -0400
At 04:15 PM 6/22/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>Maybe check the archive for "EQ."  And yes, filtering is not easy,
>but it is rewarding when the unique characteristics of a recording
>start to shine through. Is there a noticeable delay in your
>monitoring by chance?  When you move the break point around, can you
>hear the affect on sound almost simultaneously? Slow monitoring
>response can really make equalizing much harder. I was playing with a
>friend's Cool Edit application a few weeks ago and the built-in EQ
>plug seemed to have a considerable delay between making an adjustment
>and hearing it. Maybe someone on the list with low latency monitoring
>using the CE EQ dsp can make some suggestions about the version, OS,
>audio card, the amount of RAM they're using.
>
>I have a huge Martian landscape collection, mostly from making these
>mistakes: (1) Trying to "remove" a sound/bandwidth rather than
>balance it more naturally with the frequencies around it. (2)
>Forgetting to set the monitor level at the volume I plan to use it in
>the mix (3)  Not addressing the most offensive sounds first or
>concentrating on one end of the spectrum too much and failing to
>consider the overall balance. (4) Forgetting to switch a setting in
>and out to assess the net affect  before I move on to another
>bandwidth.  Rob D.

Rob makes terrific points, here, [which must be as arcane-sounding to Mac
users, even as many of their points have seemed to me for three
years].  The delay he points out in having a shift in a node make a
difference to sound, is about 1 - 2 seconds on my Home Ed. XP, build 5.1,
with 216,600 kbytes of physical memory available.

As Rob suggests, after you get all done, you often realize: "Oh! At step 2=

(of eight) I did "X" wrong.  To remedy this, IF you have saved every step
in the process, you can go back to Step 2, and many of the filters, etc.
will still remember their last settings, and you can re-do steps 3 through=

8 again.

The outstanding summary rules:

Make the filter do as little, as gently, as possible, to make the b.g.
noise bands fall within the same loudness ballpark.
Do it all with a single complex curve, not with repeated passes.
Save the filter as a named filter file if you have any doubts, and save any=

re-dos for application to similar sound problems.

I send my best regards,

Marty Michener, MIST Software Assoc. Inc.,  P. O. Box 269, Hollis, NH 03049

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."  - Ben Franklin, 1775
"Pues cuando ardi=F3 la p=E9rdida reverdecieron sus maizales"