RE: Database

Subject: RE: Database
From: "Barb Beck" <>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 03:28:53 -0600
Many of you guys are not collecting this stuff for short term.  Just make
sure that somewhere you archive your information in both printed form and
comma delimited files so that they can be retrieved in the future with your
sound collection.

To computer people the lifetime of something useful is only a matter of a
few years in their way of thinking.  They live in a world where their
complete computer education must be relearned every 4 or 5 years.  They liv=
in a world of disposable projects and equipment and far too often disposabl=
people who cannot keep up with the frantic pace of change.   Often their
mind seems not to comprehend something that might be useful 30 to 100 years
or more down the line. Even if they realize that they also realize that for
the majority of their users that is not the case and with the majority lies
profits.   My guess is that your stored information in database form will
not outlive your CDs which people are so worried about having to redo every
so often by a very large factor.   Remember too that the best guy today can
be bankrupt next year or bought out and product dropped fast.  At times in
the computer world products survive based on who owns them not on merit.
I would hate to see information or sounds any of you have collected
disappear.

Barb Beck
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada