Re: Database

Subject: Re: Database
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 01:02:18 -0400
From: Jeremiah Moore <>

> I use Filemaker and have for ten years.  The file format is
> proprietary, though it's very easy (and scriptable) to import and
> export to any ordinary format.  Also incredibly easy to customize.
> The other big plus is that it's totally cross-platform, which access
> is not.

Cross platform includes the Palm OS. I have my Filemaker database along
in the field when I need to check things. In my shirt pocket (along with
photos, sound clips, etc. also on the Palm) I don't have all fields from
the big database, though I could. I have a script set up to format up
just what I want, Just the data fields I'm likely to need. It would be
possible to have the database in the Palm set up for data entry, use it
in the field and sync the main database with a push of a button when
back. If I trusted computer gear that far...

As it is, I prefer regular written cards in the field, and do the entry
into Filemaker at home. That is helped in that my data entry field
layout is the same as the card layout. Field sizes appropriate to the
data they may contain. I use very few abbreviations or cryptic codes.
And many fields are entered out of pop up menus from lists of
appropriate entries for that field, or just spell checked from such a
list. Saves a lot of tracking down data entry errors. I also use
repeating fields in the database. And have several different display
formats set up.

There are big advantages of capable modern databases.

I do also maintain periodic text dumps of the data. Just to be safer.

And, if all else fails I have the ultimate computer backup. The original
hand written field cards. No computer problem can touch them.