Re: Re: Sample Rate Conversion

Subject: Re: Re: Sample Rate Conversion
From: Lang Elliott <>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 13:47:28 -0400
Walt:

I magic incantation works but would be a hassle. I would choose instead to
import files into ProTools using "best" or "tweakhead" sample rate
conversion. This would probably be the most efficient way for me to get
really good conversions, at least until Peak learns to do it correctly.

Lang

From: Lang Elliott <>

> Walt:
>
> Yes, you found a way to make it work. Both the Peak and Soundhack
> conversions now sound virtually identical to the original file, at least =
> my ear.
>
> The magic incantation works.
>
> Lang

Since it's your original, I'll take you as the authority on how well it
works. To my ear they seem to fix the problem.

I'd not expect it to work as well as something programmed properly, it
was surprising just how well it did. It's only crudely doing something
that proper programming would do.

Since no one has come up with the magic incantation, here it is:

In Peak (or Soundhack)

1. Open the original 48khz 16bit file and save it as a 48khz 32bit file.

2. Open that file, resample it to 192khz, then resample again, to 44.1khz.

3. Save the file as 44.1khz 16bit.

This all improves the situation because it appears the two programs do
their math on the original samples, thus introducing some error. By
contrast Spark XL has a settable scratch file it works on and I have it
at 32bit floating point. Peak and Soundhack will only do 32bit linear max.

The resampling to 192khz is that it's a lot harder to accurately
resample to a close frequency than a greatly different one. The big jump
to 192khz and then the big jump to 44.1khz can be done more accurately
than the single tiny jump between 48khz and 44khz by these programs. I
don't know for sure how Spark XL (or Audition) is handling this problem.
Obviously they are doing it a different way.

For Lang, this set of steps does not look possible in a single pass in
Peak's Batch processor unless there is a way to do the bit depth without
saving to a new file. It could probably be set up using applescript or
Apple Events in Filemaker. Not something I know well enough. If the
double resampling sounds good enough that part can be set up in the
batch process.

Walt

"Microphones are not ears,
Loudspeakers are not birds,