Re: Sample Rate Conversion

Subject: Re: Sample Rate Conversion
From: Lang Elliott <>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 10:26:47 -0400
Rob:

Yes, I think the sound cards can make a difference. However, my Digi 001
interface plays my original file very cleanly, and my ProTools conversion t=
44.1 also plays very cleanly. So, for my setup, I think I'm hearing what's
actually there. This is using a Mac G4 tower with OS 9.2.2.

I also have an eMac on OS 10.2.8 where I use a Griffin Tech Powerwave USB
interface. It too plays all the aforementioned files cleanly.

I agree with Walt that another variable on Macs is what audio playback
option is chosen in the audio editing software. Peak allows for one to use
Core Audio or else two versions of Hal. And these choices can effect
playback quality.

So it does get a little confusing, doesn't it?

For those still interested in this thread, I've posted my original 48 khz
insect recording, plus my very clean ProTools 44.1 conversion here:

http://www.naturesound.com/insect/insect.html

Lang

At 3:15 PM -0400 5/9/04, Walter Knapp wrote:
>From: Vicki Powys <>
>>
>>  Walt wrote about Lang's insect recordings:
>  >

>snip
>
>I might should note here that the particular protocol you set for sound
>out has a significant effect on the sound you get. In OSX you have a
>choice in Peak of Core Audio (with some options), or two versions of
>Hal. At least in my G4. Depending on those settings my mac may play the
>original to sound just like the flawed peak file, or just like the spark
>file. And some settings don't work right at all.
>
>Sounds like it's different in a iMac, we know from the discussion a
>while back that it's handling of resampling is quite different from my
>g4, but you might want to play with whatever settings you find in the
>Audio>Sound Out menu choice in Peak. Also check that against what the
>Quicktime Player gets.
>
>Walt

Sorry if this  suggestion has been made.  Don't you think the D->A
used for monitoring is a big factor? (The type of native dsp (digital
sound processing) in one's computer or the external audio card.)
I've experienced huge playback differences between cards and native
dsp with the sort of sounds Lang supplied.  Indeed, cheaper CD
players can do an awful job of reproducing such sounds even if the
data on the CD is fine. D-A quality was one of the  conclusions
reached when the insect distortion question was explored a couple of
years ago.  As to how to get them to play on CD, the only trick I've
found is reducing the dominant Hz's above 8K with sharp eq and
keeping them low in the mix. Something to do with the envelope shape
it seems.  Rob D.