Re: Re: Myself, and AKG Blue Line questions

Subject: Re: Re: Myself, and AKG Blue Line questions
From: Eric Benjamin <>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 12:22:50 -0800 (PST)
Lang Elliott <> wrote:
Also, does anyone on this list own the new Marantz PMD 670?

Lang,
I don't own one, but I had access to one for a few hours.  I particularly h=
ad wanted to try out the microphone inputs.  The published specifications s=
tate that the dynamic range for the mic inputs is 65 dB(A).  That's pretty =
poor, and I was hoping for better.  So I tested it and found that for gain =
positions between 10 and 2 o'clock on the level control, the dynamic range =
was between 71 and 74 dB.  That's still pretty poor.

I conformed the frequency response on the mic input as being about 3/4 of a=
 dB down at 20 Hz, and 1/2 dB down at 20 kHz.  I should say thaqt all of th=
ese measurements were done using a 48 kHz sample rate and no compression.

One could argue for the use of external mic preamps and/or external ADCs, b=
ut my reason for purchasing such a device would be to have all of the recor=
ding kit in one box.

AS for operational features, that all seemed just fine.  I had the impressi=
on that it did have the problem of discharging the batteries while the devi=
ce wasn't in use.  It records like a recorder.  That is, when you press the=
 red button it starts to record.  Downloading the files via the USB port we=
nt just fine.  The PMD670 appears as an additional disk drive on the PC, an=
d you can just drag and drop.  The transfer speed isn't lightning fast, per=
haps 10X the recording time.  But that's way better than real-time transfer=
.  And of course, if you use compression it would be much faster.

I will send you the performance data if you are intersted.

Eric