Re: Myself, and AKG Blue Line questions

Subject: Re: Myself, and AKG Blue Line questions
From: "jarretth84" <>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 19:06:25 -0000
Just an update...

I guess I've scratched the Fostex off the list.
Wow this Hi-MD does look great. I never actually checked the specs on
it: record in WAV, PC sees the device as a HD...excellent

Personally, I haven't decide whether I want this mic to be more
versatile in the studio (as in a technique) or something of higher
quality, but a singal mic.

Can you tell me in what ways the NT-3s are better than the Blue Line?
Is a lower or higher mV/PA sensitivity rating better? Sorry, just
trying understand some of these specs better.
The self noise of that NT-1A is incredibly low compared to the others
on that list. Why do the Rode mics go for so much cheaper? Need
exposure?

What can you tell me about the CAD? Would this be the cardiod mic for
MS in this situation? Or does the NT-1A have a variable switch too?

Thanks again for your help Rob!
JarrettH

--- In  "jarretth84"

http://www.akg.com/products/powerslave,mynodeid,186,pid,41,id,41,_lang

http://www.akg.com/products/powerslave,mynodeid,186,id,224,pid,224,_la
> nguage,EN.html
>
> Is there anything cheaper you can recommend for 1-2 mics instead?
> (for phantom/gain). I didn't realize until now that it would need
> high gain for nature (close). It's too bad AKG don't make a cheap
pre
> like they do for phantom. I'm still not 100% on what storage yet,
and
> I have a feeling I should set more aside for that.
>
> Possibly: Blue Line, Nomad 3, and a little bit cheaper mic pre
(same
> RME model with 1-2 instead?) Sorry, I'm not familiar with RME
stands
> for.
>
> Is the iRiver any good? Seems to be fairly new:
> http://reviews.cnet.com/iRiver_iHP_120/4505-6490_7-30571493-3.html?
> tag=3Dreview
>

> Thanks again!
> JarrettH
>
> --- In  Rob Danielson <>
> wrote:
> > At 2:09 AM +0000 2/25/04, jarretth84 wrote:
> > >Hello,
> > snip
> > >I kind of narrowed it down to the AKG Blue Line because....
> > >
> > >- swappable capsules!!
> > >- fair price
> > >
> > >I'm really for swappable capsules because it allows me to buy a
> > >quality mic and still have the option for other polar patterns.
> While
> > >an actual shotgun or figure-8 switch on a mic isn't quite as
> > >effective.
> > >I am more than welcome for other suggestions of companies who
offer
> > >mics with swappable capsules (at the same price though please
> <$1000).
> >

> > SE300B/CK 91        17 dB(A)                10 mV/Pa=09
> > SE300B/CK 92        17 dB(A)                10 mV/Pa=09
> > SE300B/CK 93        17 dB(A)                10 mV/Pa=09
> > SE300B/CK 94        22 dB(A)                10 mV/P         8
> >
> > These require 48v phantom power from a mic pre or separate
phantom
> > supply (not internal batteries-- which the MR-8 doesn't seem to
> > provide. You don't hear people crow about the akg blue line mics
> too
> > much.  I know people who used 460 and 480's in the field.=20
They're
> on
> > the low sensitivity side and not as quiet as one might want.
Steven
> > Feldman uses 460's.  For film and general purpose, i'd look into
an
> > m-s (mid-side) set-up. But most good mics will require phantom
power

> > The MR-8 is a cute item. Thot for sure i'd run into a "gotcha"
and
> > had to go all the way to the mic pre gain which is +40dB,
basically
> > studio, not field sensitivity.  So, you need gain + phantom =3D
> > portable mic pre.  RME makes a DC powerable 4 ch  mic pre for
$500
> > (+62 dB gain), and a 512mb  card $? Building a surround library
> that
> > would set you apart. How about 2 m-s  mic pairs for4 ch surround?
> > Maybe buy the Fostex from a place where they'll sell you a Rode
NT-