Re: binaural mic 1/8" to XLR for PMD670?

Subject: Re: binaural mic 1/8" to XLR for PMD670?
From: Aaron Ximm <>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 19:07:32 -0800 (PST)
oryoki wrote:

> The PMD 670 provides 48 volt phantom power, as required by many pro
> microphones. You should check with the manufacturer of your
> microphone to see if this will be an issue.  The mic manufacturer
> should be able to provide you with the correct cables, too.

Again, to my knowledge there are no consumer/prosumer mics marketed as
binaural that would work with an 1/8" stereo plug into an MZ-R50 consumer
MD deck that require 48V phantom! (disregarding binaural-adapted tram and
ECM55/77 etc...)

All of the "cheap" binaurals I've seen, used, etc., use "plug-in power"
for electret mics.  I've never heard of any XLR-connector decks providing
this plug-in power, I would doubt they exist...

Unless Robb was using something esoteric, he will find he should (a) use
an outboard plug-in power providing battery box (or battery box/pre
combo), and (b) turn off phantom on the Marantz... which should extend its
battery life of course.

I believe there are some battery boxes that also breakout to dual XLR
btw... check Core Sound maybe?

 best regards,
  aaron

  http://www.quietamerican.org