Re: Equipment

Subject: Re: Equipment
From: "oryoki2000" <>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 02:39:54 -0000
Leo Boon wrote:
> ..I am looking for player and speakers
> which will [attract] wanted species...

Dear Leo,

The subject of field playback is very controversial.  At a minimum
you need to be aware of any local regulations regarding playback.
Playback is prohibited in more places than you may realize. Most
national and state parks in the USA regulate sound playback.  These
regulations protect species that might otherwise be subject to
harrassment.  Regulation of playback is especially important
in "hotspots" (inside or outside parks) where an unusual species can
be found, or where birders congregate (such as near a wilderness
lodge).  Many sound recordists "just say no" to field playback at any
time.

That said, I understand the value of playback when doing census work,
or when trying to show an unusual species to a group.  It's far less
damaging to the environment to attract a bird over to your location
than it is to make a new trail into the forest.

I will reply to you privately, with the understanding that it is your
responsibility to use playback in a sensitive manner.

--oryoki