Re: Equipment

Subject: Re: Equipment
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 23:45:15 -0000
--- In  Walter Knapp <>
wrote:
> From: "Rich Peet" <>
> >
> > Bird feeders at state parks are now being discouraged here.
>
> I bet the majority of members of this group do some bird feeding.

I admit to having 15 lbs of bird seed in the back of the minivan for
use in recording.  With some species it is a great technique to drop
a few pounds of seed in an area where the target was seen and set a
mic near by.

> I fully understand the reasons not to use playback in many cases
where
> it is used. But I also think it's a error to just think it does not
> happen. We should be talking about the how and why of playback. How
> do it with less disruption.

I can live with this as an exit point.  Just don't expect me to be
the one helping others in "good" playback as I can not do that.  I
see two main groups of abusers.  The experienced guides and the new
to the field watchers.  I can't change the guides and they don't need
help. I also wish to discourage the new and underexperienced.  So far
the photographers and videographers just are a non-factor.  Most of
the Gov. people abusing seem to always treat wildlife as property and
no comment from anyone will influence them either.

It's about the wildlife and should never be about peoples rights.

Rich