Re: Clip Collection

Subject: Re: Clip Collection
From: Gianni Pavan <>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 17:39:27 +0100
You're perfectly right Walt, though we have to consider both ends: short
MP3 files for quick viewing (listening), and reasonably sized linear files=

for those interested in top quality with matching bandwidth.

Gianni

At 20.57 03/02/2004, you wrote:
>From: Gianni Pavan <>
>

> > Concerning file sizes, it is now easy to download a several megabytes,
> > unless you've a phone connection only. To comply with this case, it wou=
ld
> > be easy to add an MP3 file for any huge wav file.
>
>I don't think this is the experience of the majority of the group.
>Several megabytes can take me a hour or more some days. Files the size
>of my typical survey clips would take much, much longer. We often take a
>whole day, or sometimes longer downloading one of those "easy to
>download" updater files that are so common now. And I don't have the
>option of connecting to fast internet at anything like a reasonable cost.
>
>There is a tendency for those blessed with a fast connection where they
>work to think that everybody has these, they don't. Business and
>educational users they are common, personal, home connections they are
>not near so common.
>
>Even in mp3, a huge wav file will be condensed down to a long download
>at best, if the quality is to be preserved.
>
>Setting up as if everyone has fast connections will simply freeze quite
>a few out of the discussions.
>
>Walt
>

>"Microphones are not ears,
>Loudspeakers are not birds,
>A listening room is not nature."
>Klas Strandberg
>
>Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>To visit your group on the web, go to:

>  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Gianni Pavan
Email
Centro Interdisciplinare di Bioacustica e Ricerche Ambientali
Universita' degli Studi di Pavia
Via Taramelli 24, 27100 PAVIA, ITALIA
Tel        +39-0382-507874
Fax        +39-02-700-32921