Re: Clip Collection

Subject: Re: Clip Collection
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 14:57:38 -0500
From: Gianni Pavan <>

> Concerning file sizes, it is now easy to download a several megabytes,
> unless you've a phone connection only. To comply with this case, it would=

> be easy to add an MP3 file for any huge wav file.

I don't think this is the experience of the majority of the group.
Several megabytes can take me a hour or more some days. Files the size
of my typical survey clips would take much, much longer. We often take a
whole day, or sometimes longer downloading one of those "easy to
download" updater files that are so common now. And I don't have the
option of connecting to fast internet at anything like a reasonable cost.

There is a tendency for those blessed with a fast connection where they
work to think that everybody has these, they don't. Business and
educational users they are common, personal, home connections they are
not near so common.

Even in mp3, a huge wav file will be condensed down to a long download
at best, if the quality is to be preserved.

Setting up as if everyone has fast connections will simply freeze quite
a few out of the discussions.