Clip collection

Subject: Clip collection
From: Steve Pelikan <>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 09:45:52 -0500
Friends:

I like Gianni's idea of having a collection of sounds from various
sources/recording methods/microphones in a variety of fomats, encoding,
compressions, etc. Of course, side-by-side comparisons would be especially
valuable; that'd be something for people with different rigs to do when
they crossed paths.

Such a collection would be useful for people who want to experiment with
them, compare them, etc. It'd also be useful for people who want to test
software --- to make sure their programs handle data in formats produced by
other programs. And it might even save some bandwidth in the end, since
instead of posting and answering questions like "what's ... like?" each of
us could just go and listen to the results.

Walt's comment that some of the files would be big is well taken; we'd need
to use some restraint in the
duration of some of the clips.

I imagine I (or someone else) could come up with some server space
somewhere if people thought this idea was really worth following up on.

The first thing to decide is what bits of data do we want recorded for each
clip?

Steve Pelikan