Minidisk data transfer and bat recordings

Subject: Minidisk data transfer and bat recordings
From: "Graham M Smith" <>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 23:58:06 -0000
I seem to think that it has been mentioned here that if you use a desktop MD
player, you can transfer MD recording into a PC and bypass the copy
protection feature on portable minidisks players/recorders. I want to be
able to quickly upload the files and find the bits where sound has been
recorded.

Uploading to the PC in real time makes it essentially unworkable, and I need
a better way of doing things.

I would be grateful of someone can suggest a effective way of doing this.

I am using Sony minidisk recorders to record bat sounds from a bat
detectors. These are being used to monitor bat activity and I am using the
maximum compression to get 5 hrs of recording, with the disks changed at
midnight. I have 12 stations  that record 10hrs every night and each
sampling period is for three nights. Given that this repeated in different
seasons, and this year I am going have more than one study site - this is a
lot of data (mainly blank) to sort through.

I know this a group more concerned with high quality sound recording -
rather than using sound recording equipment as an ecological monitoring
tool, but I suspect the expertise is here to help.

Indeed any suggestions to run these surveys better would be appreciated.
Ideally, I would like a recording tool that would run for three nights,
unattended with the recording activated by the bat call. So I don't end up
with hours of blank recording. Alternatively, I would like to "high speed"
upload the sound file onto the PC and have some software that could whiz
through the file and mark all the bits where sound has been recorded. Even
better would be if the software could extract information like the number of
sound episodes, and the time and date they were made, but I would settle for
it bookmarking each sound episode so I could jump from bookmark to bookmark,
without having to wade through blank tape.

If anyone can suggest a better place to ask, then I would be grateful. I
tried the Batline mailing list to see how other bat ecologists  were dealing
with this, but got no reply.

So, any help much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Graham