Re: Minidisk data transfer and bat recordings

Subject: Re: Minidisk data transfer and bat recordings
From: Aaron Ximm <>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 16:09:46 -0800 (PST)
Hi Graham,

All may change when the new Hi-MD decks arrive in April, which will allow
you to transfer recordings made with the new format (uncompressed 90
minute recordings on 1GB disks, or 7+ hours at ~current compression) via
USB -- it seems USB and not USB2 however, to my horror. Or firewire. But
perhaps the 2nd generation of these new machines... (more info at
www.minidisc.org...).

But in the meantime, the only way I know to do high-speed transfers of MD
data is with the system I have, made by EDL, a UK company, called the
Minidisk Transfer Editor.  It uses a custom-modified Sony MDH-10
data drive, which connects to the PC via SCSI; it transfers disks at
around 5x realtime and decompresses the ATRAC to WAV on the PC.  It comes
with a rudimentary editor but nothing like what you are describing.

I'm not sure how well it handles the LP modes however, I do all my
recording in the original SP mode.

> upload the sound file onto the PC and have some software that could whiz
> through the file and mark all the bits where sound has been recorded. Even

The package I use, Samplitude, has a feature that *may* work like this --
you can give it an example clip, and it will analyze a file looking for
anything within a certain similarity, which it will flag with a marker.
There is an interface to quickly navigate between markers (with a single
click). This is an outgrowth of one of the package's features, called
"comparisonics", which offers a waveform display that color-codes the wave
according to its content: saturation = tonality, hue = pitch; brightness =
octave, more or less.  Can be quite useful.

If you have a reasonable S/N ratio I suspect this would work for you.

I believe you can download a save-impaired demo from www.samplitude.com.

 best regards,
  aaron

  http://www.quietamerican.org