Rode NT4

Subject: Rode NT4
From: Michael Gallagher <>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 08:01:11 +1100
Dear Levon,

I have had a Rode NT4 stereo mic for about eight months. I also have a
Sony ECM MS 957 stereo mic which I have been using for several years. I
use both mics with a Sony MZR900 minidisc recorder. I record in the
open, usually for extended periods, with the mic on a fixed stand while
I sit at the recorder some 20 metres away. I record via the mic input.
I set the recorder to high mic sensitivity. I use manual recording
level and usually record around position 25 of the recorder's 30 step
recording level scale.

The Rode has better signal strength and lower self noise than the Sony.
The Rode is more sensitive to moisture than the Sony. With the Rode,
one or both channels begins to flutter on damp dewey mornings. (My
original unit was very prone to moisture noise. I  wrote to Rode. They
requested its return and replaced it promptly. I was impressed by their
service.)
The  Rode is much more sensitive to wind noise than the Sony. The
slightest breeze causes the Rode's diaphagms to thump. The supplied
breath shield offers no protection. A Rycote shield was recommended. I
have a made foam and fake fur shield that enables me to get acceptable
recordings with some loss of high frequencies.
The Rode uses a 9 volt battery which lasts for about 40 hours. The Sony
use a single AA battery which lasts for about 2000 hours.
The Sony sturdily built. The Rode is even more robust.

I keep the Rode packed with refreshed Silica Gel desiccant.
I use the Rode without a wind shield on the stillest days.
I use the Rode with the homemade wind shield, moisture permitting.
Otherwise, I use the Sony.

Regards

Michael Gallagher