Re: Need alternative to Bias Peak

Subject: Re: Need alternative to Bias Peak
From: Marty Michener <>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 00:56:13 -0400
At 04:38 PM 8/27/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>Really, no problem at all with Cool Edit, Marty. Didn't mean to imply
>that there was. It really is fine software. The problem was with the
>PC platform we've been running. I got tired of getting viruses and
>the platform I was running was causing lots of problems (crashes,
>lost files, and other problems too numerous to mention here). If it
>makes anyone feel any better, we still have one PC operational in the
>lab/office (along with 5 Macs)...mostly to deflect incredulity from
>the outside. When faced with upgrading everything recently, Cool Edit
>was our first option. But we decided, instead, to switch all our
>other systems to Mac because it seems easier to use for one so
>brainless to begin with. I still am on speaking terms with many of my
>PC friends, family, and most of our clients, in case you were
>wondering. So my lonliness is only minimal and (hopefully) temporary.
>Everyone on PC gives me a lot of grief, though. What they don't
>realize is that the grief they're giving me is for the wrong reasons
>which is why I'm a certified cryptophon.
>
>Bernie

Ok, I guess I do get your point, sort of, despite your utterly preposterous=

denial of brains.

  I have run PC's since a Radio Shack "XT" in 1985 where I bought and added=

my first 10 pound 30 meg hard drive, and I have never had a lost file, a
system crash, a virus or any hard disc damage or lock up (the way Walt
recently had with distant lightning).  I guess I'm just overbearingly
lucky.  Why then didn't the Lord make me lucky enough be able to afford a
Mac in the first place?

I did buy one two years ago at the insistence of my artist daughter for her=

use, and on installing the Cannon printer ruined the hard drive
permanently.  So I took it back to the store and the same thing happened
with my second G3 Mac (OS 9.0), and then the store ran completely out of G3=

Macs (although they had a repair bin full of returns, all with defunct HD),=

so I had to order a third one from another source.  It turns out the
problem was that the Adobe "type manager" that installed "as an extra" with=

the Canon printer software  (which you would get for free with a PC but
cost extra with Macs) was one version shy, OS8, so all you had to do was
download a new Adobe manager from the web, except that your computer would=

never boot so you could get online in the first place.  I have never had
such a problem with a PC, I wasted a whole week.

I would never give YOU grief for running a better system, which (for what
must be the ten thousandth time) I freely admit Mac must be (for everyone
but me and my daughter). When my brother-in-law and nephew (2 years ago,
and more devoted Mac users do not exist on planet Earth) wanted audio
editing software they kept asking me why Cool Edit was not available for
Macs.  If only I could ever afford one .

. . some day I hope to join the closed architecture band.  I am sure much
of the virus security is because it is so much harder to write viruses for=

the closed proprietary architecture - it certainly is much harder to write=

ANY software for Macs, I have been looking for a good program for three
years - which is undoubtedly why Mac programs are so much more
expensive.  There are at least four IDEs I have bought and tried for PC
windows application writing (C++, Visual Basic, Professional Basic,
Delphi). Now Cool Edit also joins this holy echelon, moving up where
apparently it belongs among the higher priced spreads.

And Bernie, on "cryptophon" you completely have me! No dictionary entry,
and all google could help me on a definition was:
"Brigt the thing with the Cryptophon to the end, then gotten those at least=

partially which them earn. Remainder in Peace jet man". ""
""

Gee, uh, I guess it means secret-sounder. . .

my best regards,

Marty Michener
MIST Software Associates PO Box 269, Hollis, NH 03049

EnjoyBirds.com  - Software that migrates with you.    http://www.EnjoyBirds=
.com