Re: Need alternative to Bias Peak

Subject: Re: Need alternative to Bias Peak
From: Wild Sanctuary <>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 09:33:24 -0700

>Ok, I guess I do get your point, sort of, despite your utterly preposterou=
>denial of brains.
>
>   I have run PC's since a Radio Shack "XT" in 1985 where I bought and add=
ed
>my first 10 pound 30 meg hard drive, and I have never had a lost file, a
>system crash, a virus or any hard disc damage or lock up (the way Walt
>recently had with distant lightning).  I guess I'm just overbearingly
>lucky.  Why then didn't the Lord make me lucky enough be able to afford a
>Mac in the first place?

The Lord, as we all know, moves in mysterious ways, Marty. To be
sure, my wife and I live in California...blessed land of the
strangest phenomena going. Where we live, in a rural northern part of
the state, up is down, down is up, and now we're even threatened with
Arnold S. for governor. Mars is too close for comfort and Macs seem
to fail less than PCs. It certainly ain't what happens in the "real
world", but what can I say?

>I did buy one two years ago at the insistence of my artist daughter for he=
>use, and on installing the Cannon printer ruined the hard drive
>permanently.  So I took it back to the store and the same thing happened
>with my second G3 Mac (OS 9.0), and then the store ran completely out of G=
3
>Macs (although they had a repair bin full of returns, all with defunct HD)=
,
>so I had to order a third one from another source.  It turns out the
>problem was that the Adobe "type manager" that installed "as an extra" wit=
>the Canon printer software  (which you would get for free with a PC but
>cost extra with Macs) was one version shy, OS8, so all you had to do was
>download a new Adobe manager from the web, except that your computer would
>never boot so you could get online in the first place.  I have never had
>such a problem with a PC, I wasted a whole week.

Maybe your daughter got an evolutionary version of our special
Northern California PC Virus which crossed the genetic lines when all
of us were otherwise distracted by a rare species of nuthatch.

>I would never give YOU grief for running a better system, which (for what
>must be the ten thousandth time) I freely admit Mac must be (for everyone
>but me and my daughter). When my brother-in-law and nephew (2 years ago,
>and more devoted Mac users do not exist on planet Earth) wanted audio
>editing software they kept asking me why Cool Edit was not available for
>Macs.  If only I could ever afford one .

The only two pieces of equipment I can say I'm entirely devoted to
are my old Nagra IVs and my Manouk Papazian guitar. Oh yes, a third
has loomed on the horizon: our new Honda Hybrid Civic that gets 45
MPG (72kPG). Nothing else is even a blip on the radar screen as far
as equipment. Mac ain't better so much as it seems to work at this
site where the planets, too, are in Mac-conjunction. My guess is that
if I lived and worked in upstate New York or Siberia, I'd be
switching back to PC. As for most digital equipment, I am forever
reminded of the great I. B. Singer line: "Man plans. God laughs."

>. . some day I hope to join the closed architecture band.  I am sure much
>of the virus security is because it is so much harder to write viruses for
>the closed proprietary architecture - it certainly is much harder to write
>ANY software for Macs, I have been looking for a good program for three
>years - which is undoubtedly why Mac programs are so much more
>expensive.  There are at least four IDEs I have bought and tried for PC
>windows application writing (C++, Visual Basic, Professional Basic,
>Delphi). Now Cool Edit also joins this holy echelon, moving up where
>apparently it belongs among the higher priced spreads.

You're right, of course. And Cool Edit has a feature that hardly any
Mac software has - spectrograms as part of the main program.

>And Bernie, on "cryptophon" you completely have me! No dictionary entry,
>and all google could help me on a definition was:
>"Brigt the thing with the Cryptophon to the end, then gotten those at leas=
>partially which them earn. Remainder in Peace jet man". ""

Hell, Marty, I'm a word person and am always thinking of and testing
new combinations. Cryptophon just tripped of the end of my forked
tongue. It just meant that I try to record the creature life I run
across with the utmost secrecy and stealth (Homeland Security, you
know). I just don't want any living thing to know exactly what I'm
doing. I've been successful in that regard for years.

Bernie

--
Wild Sanctuary, Inc.
P. O. Box 536