Re: Need alternative to Bias Peak

Subject: Re: Need alternative to Bias Peak
From: Marty Michener <>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 19:13:56 -0400
At 12:45 PM 8/27/2003 -0700, Bernie wrote:
>Even though we have earlier versions of ProTools (Mac), mostly, we've
>been mostly using a PC-based software called MTU (MicroTechnologies
>Unlimited) to do our editing and mixing because it allowed us to mix
>as many as 30 or 40 stereo audio clips at once. A bug-y program to
>begin with, it has become increasingly frustrating because of a
>profound lack of tech support and arrogance to the point where we're
>now in the process of changing to an entirely different format and
>ditching MTU altogether. We tried CoolEdit for a while and it was OK.
>But, finally, after thinking about it and talking with pros in the
>field (like Rudy Trubitt), we decided on BIAS Studio for Mac, which
>combines both PEAK and DECK. We'll throw away the MIDI component as
>we don't use that but feel that the combo of the two software
>programs will provide the flexibility we need to edit and mix...at
>least we hope so. As soon as this old and impaired brain begins to
>get a grip on the new software, I'll be happy to provide some
>feedback to the group. (I figure, with the speed of my learning curve
>these days, that should be somewhere around 2010, if I'm still here
>and you're still here.).
>
>Bernie

Dear Bernie:

With all due respect for your incredible experience and talents, exactly
what was it that Cool Edit Pro DIDN'T DO?  I have been using it almost
continuously as it evolved since 1996. The one thing I have been asking
Syntrillium for (now about five times, over as many years, utterly ignored=

apparently) that it certainly does NOT do is to search for instances of a
(small file sound fragment) in a bunch of large files (a simple
cross-correlation, as per Canary). It thus does not help us little guys
find instances of copyright violation in commercial products.

My son Corey has written and orchestrated 80 plus original songs with it,
using CakeWalk and a Yamaha keyboard for the MIDI input and mixing it with=

recorded live tracks from his Yamaha Acoustic, Epiphony Bass and Fender
Stratocaster guitars and up to four mics (fed into a Teratec 8 channel 24
bit/96 kHz sound card / break out box).  I do not actually know what the
limit is with the multitrack view but it is large - I have seen him mixing=

down several screenfulls of tracks into his stereo CD productions but do
not know how he does it.

I have done "seemingly impossible" wild sound tasks (according to most on
this list who have ignored my every attempt to educate them on the ease of=

sophisticated time-dependent filtering) with it, establishing and saving
time-morphing filters named for the species whose sounds they remove
(Bluejay, Crow, etc.).

So it is hard for me to imagine a digital audio task one cannot easily do
on a cheap PC with Cool Edit, even though now that is has joined the great=

Apple monopoly, with closed architecture, he said sadly, and the price now=

(inevitably) already rises.  I suppose one now needs to write an ode to
open architecture sound editing excellence . . .;^(

my best regards,

Marty Michener
MIST Software Associates PO Box 269, Hollis, NH 03049

EnjoyBirds.com  - Software that migrates with you.    http://www.EnjoyBirds=
.com