Re: Need alternative to Bias Peak

Subject: Re: Need alternative to Bias Peak
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 13:58:39 -0400
Wild Sanctuary wrote:

> The only two pieces of equipment I can say I'm entirely devoted to
> are my old Nagra IVs and my Manouk Papazian guitar. Oh yes, a third
> has loomed on the horizon: our new Honda Hybrid Civic that gets 45
> MPG (72kPG). Nothing else is even a blip on the radar screen as far
> as equipment. Mac ain't better so much as it seems to work at this
> site where the planets, too, are in Mac-conjunction. My guess is that
> if I lived and worked in upstate New York or Siberia, I'd be
> switching back to PC. As for most digital equipment, I am forever
> reminded of the great I. B. Singer line: "Man plans. God laughs."

Not too long back we finally had to give up on our Escort wagon. It got
52 MPG but it had 375,000 miles on it and the body and frame was in real
bad shape before the deer played crush and run with it.

> You're right, of course. And Cool Edit has a feature that hardly any
> Mac software has - spectrograms as part of the main program.

This is available in Spark XL. Also for a cheap price in the shareware
program Soundhack, though I'd not recommend that as a general purpose
editor.

> Hell, Marty, I'm a word person and am always thinking of and testing
> new combinations. Cryptophon just tripped of the end of my forked
> tongue. It just meant that I try to record the creature life I run
> across with the utmost secrecy and stealth (Homeland Security, you
> know). I just don't want any living thing to know exactly what I'm
> doing. I've been successful in that regard for years.

I've gotten pretty good at this, since most of the time I don't even
know what I'm doing. And if cornered I can invent whole long
descriptions of what I'm doing that contain only meaningless
combinations of letters and sounds. It's fun.