Re: Re: Mystery Frog

Subject: Re: Re: Mystery Frog
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 22:53:01 -0400
Doug Von Gausig wrote:

> That's him, isn't it! Beginning to look more and more like a new sound fo=
> an old species?

I think it's the same sound. But if it's a new call for Eastern
Narrowmouth toads, a new variation of them, or a different species is
going to be up to the genetics folks. I've recorded Eastern Narrowmouth
Toads numerous times all over the State over several years, they are
extremely common here, but only two times did this call turn up. In fact
I listened to them at more than a dozen other places last night without
hearing any of the new call. Did fill in some more county records on
other species.

For now, to show how similar these look, I've posted some photos. Sorry
about the awkward poses, these guys were just as supersonic as last
night. And no way you can photograph their bellies otherwise.

Nothing fancy in the way of a webpage:
http://wwknapp.home.mindspring.com/Unknown_Frog/unknown_frog.html

Note the Unknowns:

1. have less belly spotting. Under lights last night their bellies
appeared white. Not sure why the difference, they looked like they
photographed today.

2. are darker and less patterned on the top and sides.

3. seem to have rougher upper skin.

4. though these were calling males, the chin is not darkened

All three are represented in the photos. The light nose on one may be a
injury. He certainly took several hard leaps into the side of the
confinement pail before we could stop him. One of the reasons for all
the hand holding. Also note one has a regenerating toe, not from us, the
injury is older.

I only put photos of one of the regulars. They were virtually identical.