Re: Re: Mystery Frog

Subject: Re: Re: Mystery Frog
From: Marty Michener <>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 09:19:44 -0400
At 12:01 PM 7/10/2003 -0400, you wrote:

>Maybe on the small size, but close. And about the same size as the
>regulars from there. If anything they give the impression of being just
>slightly squeezed shorter, making them look slightly plumper. But that's
>very slight. I did not actually try to take a ruler to them.
>
>Actually Justin's fingers. He got wrangling duties while I tried to keep
>up with the camera.
>
> > Nor do your new guys look at all like M. olivacea pictures or
> descriptions.
> > This Texas beast has an all-pale gray or white belly, and the back seem=
> > paler and smooth.
>
>  From what I've seen in photos of olivacea, I concur. I've also heard
>the call, it's online, and it's not right though a little closer:
>http://www.zo.utexas.edu/research/txherps/frogs/gastrophryne.olivacea.html
>http://www.zo.utexas.edu/research/txherps/frogs/calls.html
>(and now everyone knows where I got the initial layout ideas for my frog
>pages, many years ago)
>
>There could be something along that line, as these have less belly
>spotting. I should suggest that their genetics be compared to olivacea
>as well if possible.
>
>Walt

Walt:

Thursday I spoke by phone with Skip (aka James D.) Lazell, who knows Robert=

Shoop, now retired to one of Georgia's islands, as an excellent
herpetologist.  Skip is not 'net connected', so could not look at your
photos, but said he would not be surprised at all for you to find a new
species, given the kind of energy and care you have put into your field
work distribution studies.  Skip said that any one kind of genetic study
cannot always be depended on for sound taxonomical decisions, but a suite
would tell a true picture.  He reiterated our theme that more observational=

field work is needed world wide.

I asked for an example of a single parameter giving a warped picture, and
he cited the Black-tailed Deer, which have the DNA almost matching other
north American deer, but mitochondrial DNA of a MOOSE, unlike any other
deer.  The implications on the ancestry of these deer boggle the mind.

It reminds of the reputed exchange between Bishop Sam Wilberforce and Dr.
Thomas Huxley, during the public debate on evolution, or as it was then
called, Darwinism.  The Bishop turned to Dr. Huxley at the end of his long=

tirade, and said: " . . now tell me Dr. Huxley, on which side of your
family have you descended from a monkey - on your mother's side, or on your=

father's side?"

Dr. Huxley muttered to a friend: "God has delivered him into my hands.",
got up, paused, and spoke to his audience: "I would rather be descended
directly from an ape than to be an intellectual prostitute."

my best regards,

Marty Michener
MIST Software Associates PO Box 269, Hollis, NH 03049

EnjoyBirds.com  - Software that migrates with you.    http://www.EnjoyBirds=
.com