Re: Re: Mystery Frog

Subject: Re: Re: Mystery Frog
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 00:44:19 -0400
Aaron Ximm wrote:
>>As hard as these were to photograph, there were comments about sticking
>>them in the freezer, stomping on them or whatever to get them to hold
>>still long enough to photograph. These guys can try your patience.
>

> I believe it!
>
> Out of curiosity, did you take these with a digital camera, and if so,
> does it have a 'movie' function?  My little digital Elph takes pretty goo=
> small movies up to 640x480 for up to a I believe 90 seconds, or 320x240
> for three minutes... not the highest framerate, it's probably 10-15 fps,
> but it seems a great way to potentially document at least the humor of th=
> situation.  At least, it might be humorous on later viewing...! Fwiw the
> movies have sound - though only via a quite cruddy mono mic...
>
> Curious as I'd love to see those two guys squirming and bouncing... :)
> (a 20 second movie runs 5 MB or so...).

Sorry, my Minolta RD-175 digital camera is one shot at a time, but much
higher resolution. Takes a couple seconds to take the shot and write the
1.1meg raw file to disk (the image produced is over 5 megs). And almost
as long for the flash to charge. These are taken with a 100mm macro lens
and Minolta's macro ringflash. And are cropped out of the originals. If
I can manage focus, the flash will stop nearly all movement. These were
tough to focus before they were gone. Or in a lot of cases even start to
focus.

We were using one of the catching pails to insure no loss. Thats a
galvanized wide bucket/tub that I cut the bottom out of and hammered the
edges down so they would not cut. Even so we had to be constantly alert.
Their hops were not high enough to get out, but they would try and run
up and out the sides. All the shots where they are not held were taken
that way with the bucket on our front concrete walk.

Even more fun would be the movie of the two frog catchers trying to keep
up down there when we caught them.