Re: Mystery Frog

Subject: Re: Mystery Frog
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 08:40:32 -0400
Martyn Stewart wrote:
> <Most modern biologists are much more careful about harming the
> wildlife.
> For instance when I found the Brimley's the frogs I collected were cared
>
> for, looked at and photographed lots, but eventually someone was
> assigned to drive half way across the state to put them back. Or more
> like they found a staff person going that way.>
>  You were not responsible for the Brimley's were you Walt?

I was not the one that returned them. I collected them when I found
them, then passed them on to John Jensen. He was the one that cared for
them from there. He was not the one who put them back. He told me who
did, but I've forgotten.

This is fairly typical of how John works. He really hates to kill
animals, these are his friends. But, being a scientist will do so when
necessary. There has to be meaning to the death of a animal. He sees far
too many unnecessary kills in his job. Particularly snakes, but there
are folks who will kill frogs too. These are not scientists. I remember
photographing a very big king snake for the Herp Atlas records. Someone
had driven 10' off the road to kill that snake, the tracks told the
story. John has recently gotten one of the local rattlesnake roundups to
stop, still has others to work on.

And, of course there is the local realtor who drained dry pond swamp.
Not only killing lots immediately, but reducing the frog population of
our part of the county by thousands in the long run.

For instance if this mystery frog turns out to be a new species it will
be necessary to preserve a few. Otherwise probably not.