Re: Mystery Frog

Subject: Re: Mystery Frog
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 18:02:51 -0400
Doug Von Gausig wrote:
> At 09:20 AM 7/7/2003, Walter wrote:
>
>>Note that I recorded this at another site two years ago, not all that
>>far away from this. That was one individual, this is over a dozen. All,
>>both by sonogram and by ear give exactly the same call. Very hard for it
>>to be some rare behavior. It was very easy for us to dismiss that one
>>earlier individual as a defective or such like. Now he's back in the mix.
>

> We all love a good mystery, Walter, please keep us posted and
> up-to-the-minute! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a new species...

Up in the air still, but closer to solving.

Paul Mohler had heard the frog a few times, and seen the frog at least
once (on Eglin Air Force Base in the FL panhandle). He'd collected a few
which were sent for karyotyping to a woman who has since died. No one
knows for sure what she found. There is a pressing need for new
specimens for now available DNA testing.

According to Paul Mohler this and the Eastern Narrowmouth Toad looked
superficially identical. But as I noted and so did he, calls
independently and don't change calls. Every time he found it there were
also Eastern Narrowmouth Toads present. He's pretty sure it fits in the
genus Gastrophryne. What's up in the air is if it's a separate species,
or what. DNA testing will help in this regard.

So, Justin and I leave in the morning for a run down to catch some of
them and some of the Eastern Narrowmouth Toads at the pool for genetic
testing. We built a couple open bottom buckets today to set around a
caller and push into the soil so they can't get away.