Re: Mystery Frog

Subject: Re: Mystery Frog
From: Doug Von Gausig <>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 09:33:19 -0700
At 09:20 AM 7/7/2003, Walter wrote:
>Note that I recorded this at another site two years ago, not all that
>far away from this. That was one individual, this is over a dozen. All,
>both by sonogram and by ear give exactly the same call. Very hard for it
>to be some rare behavior. It was very easy for us to dismiss that one
>earlier individual as a defective or such like. Now he's back in the mix.

We all love a good mystery, Walter, please keep us posted and
up-to-the-minute! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a new species...

Doug
Doug Von Gausig
Clarkdale, Arizona, USA
Moderator
Nature Recordists e-mail group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/naturerecordists

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:24:20 2005
Message: 17
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 20:28:04 -0700
From: "Martyn Stewart" <>
Subject: RE: Bird ID Needed

(That's a pretty common sound that Spotted Towhees make in California.
Analogous to the Green-tail's "mew" and the Arizona Spotted Towhee's
"whine". For my money that's a SPTO. There's an example of a bird
recorded
just after the workshop near Callistoga, CA at
http://www.naturesongs.com/spto6.mp3)

My suspicions were a Towhee and the zzzzzzzzzzzzz sound is that of one
but here in Washington, I have never heard the 3 "cha, cha, cha" calls
preceding this. I have many different calls from the Spotted Towhee but
this is a first :-)
Just goes to show, these chaps have a better repartee than we give
credit!

Martyn