Re: Mystery Frog

Subject: Re: Mystery Frog
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2003 16:33:32 -0400
Doug Von Gausig wrote:
> At 08:31 PM 7/5/2003, Walter wrote:
>
>>We have had some mystery birds on here, with lots of expert opinion.
>>Well, I've got a frogcall I don't recognize. Recorded last week in S
>>Georgia. (SNIP)
>>I've posted a sample that's filtered to remove the nearby lawnmower that
>>kept at it all afternoon until dark. And I cut out most of the
>>Narrowmouth toad calls to shorten the original 10 minute recording
>>(SASS/MKH-20).
>><http://wwknapp.home.mindspring.com/2003M008-007.mp3>http://wwknapp.home.=
mindspring.com/2003M008-007.mp3

>>There's also a sonogram of a section of the recording before I started
>>shortening, with the mystery calls marked:
>><http://wwknapp.home.mindspring.com/Unknown.jpg>http://wwknapp.home.minds=
pring.com/Unknown.jpg

> Youngsters maybe? Is there any precedent for a bunch of recently-converte=
> adults to sing differently than the full adults? In birds that would be m=
> first thought.

I'd say no chance, and no precedent I know of. Even if they did, they
would follow the program, their calls would resemble some species.
Because of their smaller size the frequency might shift a bit. The
closest fit for this call is the spadefoot toad call, but even it is
considerably different. And, of course spadefoots are much easier to
spot. And are not very wary.

Judging from the frequency range of the calls I'm assuming I'm dealing
with something about a inch long. Not too unusual a size in adult frogs.

These were calling in patterns in response to each other. Their call
sequencing was right for normal breeding calls.