Re: Mystery Frog

Subject: Re: Mystery Frog
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 12:20:13 -0400
Doug Von Gausig wrote:
> At 10:25 PM 7/6/2003, Walter wrote:
>

>>They do choose about the same sort of calling locations as narrowmouths.
>>Just a little thicker cover.
>>
>>They are more wary than narrowmouths. I can fairly easily walk up to a
>>narrowmouth and watch it calling once I spot it. These guys would start
>>shutting off with very careful approach when within 6'. I did get within
>>2' a couple times by lots of moving small amounts and waiting for them
>>to resume calling.
>

> To my untrained ear, this is sure toad-like. I am wondering if you have
> considered that it may be a resident Narrowmouth exhibiting different
> behavior some rare behavior during which it also hides itself more
> carefully, and is more wary? Just throwing out ideas...

I have a resident population of narrowmouths at my house. I listen to
them for months at a time. Know all the variations. Narrowmouths do
normally hide themselves well. The first one I tracked down, here at the
house, took me three days to find. They tend to choose a spot and stick
with it.

Initial reaction from John Jensen ruled that out. Also ruled out a
couple insects he'd been fooled by. We are planning a hunting foray to
get a look at one. Be at least a week before he can get away.

Meanwhile more experts are being notified. I just got done sending a
note describing it all to Paul Mohler, Florida's frogcall expert.

Note that I recorded this at another site two years ago, not all that
far away from this. That was one individual, this is over a dozen. All,
both by sonogram and by ear give exactly the same call. Very hard for it
to be some rare behavior. It was very easy for us to dismiss that one
earlier individual as a defective or such like. Now he's back in the mix.