Re: Parabols

Subject: Re: Parabols
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 06:07:35 +1000
Last minute check of my in-box before heading to the field lyrebird
recording.  Haven't really got time but I must put in a brief thought.

A major component of my lyrebird work is sorting out the local dialects of
their highly complex vocalisations.  A recording with a parabol is fine.  I=
doesn't matter in the least if the sound is altered to some extent.  Like
talking on the phone - the sound is far from natural but I can still
understand the words and, if its is someone I know well, recognise the
voice.

I've not tried it, but I reckon a good clear recording with a parabol and
one with the mic near the lyrebird of the same sound, would produce
sonagrams near enough to identical.

I have to allow 3 days minimum to 'sort out' a lyrebird in a new area, and
get a recording with him singing only a couple of metres from the mic.  Wit=
a parabol I can walk into a new area and with reasonable luck (and good
weather) get a respectable recording on the first day.

Both of which I shall now attempt - after about three hours drive and half =
day's hike with camping and recording gear.

Cheers

Syd

PS Thanks Klas, for that so excellent Telinga technology.