Re: more tantalizing info from core

Subject: Re: more tantalizing info from core
From: "oryoki2000 <>" <>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 01:23:47 -0000
Brian Clark wrote:

> Walt,
>
> Are you aware if the Nomad Jukebox 3 harddrive
> recorder will take a stereo mic input?
>
> How much recording time would you expect with
> the Nomad Jukebox 3 20gb hard drive?

Hi Brian,

I'm not Walt, but I'll try answer your question.

The analog input on the JB3 will accept a stereo
signal, but at line level.  So almost all mics
will require a pre-amp to connect.

For best quality, digitize mic input to WAV format.
Digitizing stereo input as a WAV file at 16 bit
resolution, 44,100 samples per second will fill
176,400 bytes per second, 10.5MB per minute, or
635 MB per hour.

Performance of the JB3 when capturing sound with
a mic is the subject of some controversy.  Some
owners report good results. Others report periodic
digitization errors, which result in clicks and
pops in the digital file.  So you should consider
purchasing the JB3 from a source that will permit
you to return it if its performance does not meet
your needs.  Also be sure to keep up to date with
firmware updates.

The original Creative Jukebox suffered from very
short battery life when recording.  The JB3 has
an improved lithium-ion battery, plus a slot
for a second battery.  The second battery sounds
like good insurance to me.

If you test a JB3, please report your results.

--oryoki