Re: Telinga microphone

Subject: Re: Telinga microphone
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 21:56:40 -0500
 wrote:
> In a message dated 1/16/03 3:03:20 PM Pacific Standard Time,
>  writes:
>

>>I just went and checked all the sensitivity ratings:
>>ME-67 is rated 50mV/Pa
>>ME-62 is rated 31mV/Pa
>>

> Dear Walt,
>
> I am such a dumb that I am not sure what the above means. Does this mean =
that
> the ME-67 has less gain than the ME62?

The ratings was easy, I keep all the specs I've looked up on my HD for
reference. Sennheiser provides a pdf for each mic.

This is the voltage produced by the mic at a standard reference sound
level. The reference level is up the the mic manufacturer, so
comparisons between different manufacturers or in some cases even
different mic lines has to be done with caution. In this case with two
ME mics we should be safe.

As another complication, the specification is the no load specification.
If the impedance of the recorder is pretty high relative to the
impedance of the mic it's close enough. If the impedance of the recorder
is low or about the same, all bets are off.

And, of course the higher the voltage the more sensitive the mic.
Neither mic has gain per se. But this would indicate a edge for the ME-67.

Do note the sensitivity rating is only one part of the equation. I don't
consider it definitive. I reserve that for actual trial in use.