Re: Denecke AD20 vs SoundDevices MP2 (not a review)

Subject: Re: Denecke AD20 vs SoundDevices MP2 (not a review)
From: Mark Griswold <>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 13:24:05 -0800

> The sound-devices MP2 is a great preamp. It's the one I use. My only two
> complaints are:
>
> 1. As Walt mentioned, the LED's are too bright. I turn them off, but keep my
> eye on the overload LEDs when I am recording loud signals.
>
> 2. My biggest complaint is that the volume controls are continuous pots,
> making it difficult in the dark to adjust the two controls and be certain
> they are balanced (you need to use a little flashlight to do this properly).
> I would much prefer click-stop controls that would hold their position. It
> is very easy in the field to accidentally brush against one of the volume
> controls, thus throwing off the channel balance.
>
> Lang

Sound Devices has a mod to dim the LEDs. It involves surface mount
resistors, so its not exactly a DIY mod.

Personally, I *like* the continuous pots, but if you take off the knobs and
put a rubber "O" ring over the shaft and replace the knobs, they are a
little harder to bump out of position.

hope that helps,

Mark