Re: Denecke AD20 vs SoundDevices MP2 (not a review)

Subject: Re: Denecke AD20 vs SoundDevices MP2 (not a review)
From: "evertveldhuis <>" <>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 01:00:19 -0000
--- In  Walter Knapp <>
wrote:

<large, but interesting(!) part, cut by Evert>

> The one thing that makes me wonder is your statement that you don't
> ever expect to need phantom power. Does this mean you are going to
> stick with low end mics?
>
> Walt

Walt,

Thanks for the answer! As always, you handle the subject with great
eye for detail.

As far as phantom power concerns, most of my mics have their own
supply.
I do not have that many mics;
- a Sony ECM-S957 which has its own battery
- OKM II K S which has its own Preamp with built in 6 V phantom
- a Telinga Pro V, to be delivered any day now (Klas hurry up!). It
should have its own power supply built in.

All my other mics are not for outdooruse; they are music mics
requiring high levels of soundpressure to deafen my ears so you won't
tell the ringing from the selfnoise :)
OK, enough jokes.

The MP2 sounds like a very good deal; build for the outdoors (it has
been tested by dropping on concrete!), build for the pro recordist.
Its options do attract me. I only wonder if it won't be a waste to
connect this good device to my consumer MD-recorder; there is always
a weakest link in your signal path, would having such a very good pre
be worthy of working together with the Sony MZR-55, or with nowadays
MD recorders?

Regards, Evert