Re: Houston, We have a problem!

Subject: Re: Houston, We have a problem!
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 22:49:51 +1000

 Klas Strandberg <> wrote:

> Yes, it is common, and now I have a wonderful opportunity to point out th=
> importance of using angled mini-jacks, even if they are not gold-plated,
> fancy State-Of-The-Art ones! (All Telinga users know what I mean.)

May I endorse that?  Years ago I had just that problem with a Sony
Professional Walkman cassette recorder.  A couple of times I got the mic
lead snagged on something when field recording and the mini-jack connection
was loosened as a result causing intermittent static, etc.

On the second occasion, from the depths of my ignorance, I asked the Sony
Repair Shop Technician to replace the small mike input with a decent Canon
fitting.  He laughed and said, "Impossible!  Have you ever seen inside one
of these recorders?  There's not a millimetre of spare space."  But he did
do exactly what Klas is advising.  He got an angled mini-jack (designed for
head-phones, I think he said) with some very flexible cable and made a very
short patch cord with a relatively light-weight but secure DIN plug on it t=
take my shielded mic lead.  Problem solved.

Syd Curtis in Brisbane, Australia.