Re: Houston, We have a problem!

Subject: Re: Houston, We have a problem!
From: "Shaun" <>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 00:17:18 -0000
--- In  Walter Knapp <> wrote:
> Shaun wrote:
>
>   I figure it is a bad wire or something
> > simple, but i am not too sure, he also said that he was getting a
lot
> > of static through the player also, he thinks this is because he
is
> > recording too close to some power lines which cross the mountain
he
> > is on. Im not sure on this either but it did sound like something
> > that would cause it. I am hoping that someone has had these
problems
> > in the past and might know what could be causing them, the low
> > recording was the most bothering one to him i think, but he still
has
> > very high spirits, and hopfully i will be going up with him for 2
> > days this week. Any and all comments on this post will be highly
> > appreciated as are all your comments to me, thanks again ppl, and
> > have a great day!
>
> Some of this is bad contact between the plug and jack on the
recorder.
> The static bursts are most likely that unless they are regular.
Power
> lines will give you a steady hum for the most part. Sometimes you
can
> help this with a little contact cleaner, but if the jack has weak
> contacts, then about all you can do is tape the connectors to keep
them
> from moving once you find a good contact.
>
> A broken wire is less likely, but could happen, symptoms are about
the same.

> Not sure on the low recording. His powering system might not be
> supplying enough power to keep everything happy. Did he try
listening to
> the recording with the headphones on playback? If that's ok, he's
got
> the recording and it's a mismatch to the speaker system. What
indication
> did he get on the meter on the recorder?
>
> Walt

Hello Walter,

             I am on the phone with my father as I am typing this. He
played the calls back to me and i near fell out of my chair , he was
not exagerating when he said there was a lot of static in the
recording, i could hear the deer but what a mess. I am wondering if
it is the power lines would it be affecting the mic or the MD
recorder, I think it must be the mic/dish that its affecting because
it recorded the noise something else. I was wondering if conceiling
the recorder in a case of some sort might help this , or if it is a
bad contact , would the contact spray help any if there was a bad
connection? The calls did seem very close and loud , except that the
static/hiss noise was near just as loud. I am not to sure on what you
meant when you asked me "What indication did he get on the meter on
the recorder?" He is now changing the disc and is going to try using
a new blank for tommorrow , where as today it poured out the who day.
I told him all you wrote, he is going to try the contact spray, worst
comes to worst i will have to go up and give him a hand for a little
bit to see if i can clear this up for him best i can. Thanks for the
fast reply. I would also like to say Thank you to Chris Owens for
putting up the telinga URL for me, I seem to learn a little faster
with pictures..lol, tnks again .
                                 Shaun Parks