Re: Palm OS 5

Subject: Re: Palm OS 5
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 19:25:23 -0500
Rich Peet wrote:
> Do I read this right?
>
> Palm OS5 the new PDA operating system will allow uncompressed record
> of 16 bit stereo?
>
> http://www.palmos.com/dev/support/docs/palmos50/
>
> To me this is big news.
>
> A PDA with a microdrive and a usb sound input and we are on the way
> with a great recording machine.
>
> Now we are going to really have some small recording device options.

Looks like it will require that there be some hardware changes, so
probably only new palms. But, yes, they do say they will support 8 & 16
bit sound samples. Looks like some form of wave file too.

Also did you find anything on the sampling rate limits? Says they are
settable to integer values, but not what rates are going to be supported.

I don't know about great, but you might be able to record with it once
you get all the hardware set up.

Since there are already palms or palm like devices that record to
standard mpeg video with sound, built in cameras and all, it's not too
surprising.

Is palm independent enough to stay out of the new encrypted windows
that's soon to arrive? That sounds like a nightmare for anyone not part
of the recording industry.