Houston, We have a problem!

Subject: Houston, We have a problem!
From: "Shaun" <>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 20:23:31 -0000
Hi again ppl,
            Well things were looking really good for my father when i
drove him up to his recording getaway. I took him up late Friday
night and he spent the whole day Saturday in the woods recording. He
told me that he heard two very clear and quite loud sounds ,neither
he could see but he knew the first was a doe calling to her fawn, he
said that she sounded very loud and was very vocal for near a half an
hour.Within the half hour he tested and tried different things with
the MZ-R30, first off he started on Manual record set to Mono/
Recording level between 4 and 5 , he left it this way for a while
then tested all kinds of different levels. He told me when he got
back to the house , he tried playing the calls back over his playback
speaker but he could barely hear the deer at all, where as it sounded
right on top of him in the woods and was very clear and quite loud as
he monitored it through the earphones. He thought he had a perfect
call but turned out to be too low almost to the point of having to
put his ear to the playback speaker to hear the doe? He also told me
that after a little while he started getting a hum through his
earphones, he then told me for the rest of the day he had to keep
constant pressure applied to where the earphone jack enters the MD
recorder to keep the hum away. I figure it is a bad wire or something
simple, but i am not too sure, he also said that he was getting a lot
of static through the player also, he thinks this is because he is
recording too close to some power lines which cross the mountain he
is on. Im not sure on this either but it did sound like something
that would cause it. I am hoping that someone has had these problems
in the past and might know what could be causing them, the low
recording was the most bothering one to him i think, but he still has
very high spirits, and hopfully i will be going up with him for 2
days this week. Any and all comments on this post will be highly
appreciated as are all your comments to me, thanks again ppl, and
have a great day!
                 Shaun Parks.

PS: I forgot to say what the other call was, it was the fawn calling
back to the doe, and that they were not in the line of sight , but in
behind trees and brush.