Re: SASS/MKH-110 update

Subject: Re: SASS/MKH-110 update
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 09:36:14 -0600
Walt wrote:

>There is now a set of photos of the SASS/MKH-20 version linked off the
>SASS/MKH-110 page:
>http://frogrecordist.home.mindspring.com/docs/sass_mkh110.html
>or direct:
>http://frogrecordist.home.mindspring.com/docs/sass_mkh-20.html
>
>Also added some new samples of rain. Still no new thunderstorm, but
>there is a comparison of rain recording. It refused to thunder.
>
>And there is a photo of the new insides of the SASS/MKH-110.
>
>Still no whine on the sonograms, that's good!
>
>Walt

Walt--

Congratulations. This could be a break-through for DIY, low-cost,
high-quality mics.  Based on your two examples, the MKH-110's sound
is very comparable to the 20's.  I agree the bottom end seems more
defined. I'm imagining many uses already.

Easy for me to write, but I'd love to hear the 20's and 110's cranked
75%+ on the MP-2 in a large interior room with no source of sustained
Hi Hz.  Room tone is rich in low-mids and should reveal inherent
noise adequately. Possible to use no bottom end roll-off on preamp
and recorder? No filtering might  test whether the SASS mount is
adequately immune to transmitting vibration and the interior might
give some clues as to how well the SASS is rejecting reflections.
Obviously, if the noise is comparable, your schematic will be very
much in demand!

Thanks for the persistence!
Rob D.

  =3D =3D =3D