Re: pre-amps

Subject: Re: pre-amps
From: Lang Elliott <>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 09:13:48 -0400
Vicky:

I'm not sure, but I think it's probably not worth the added expense to
purchase an expensive preamp unless you're using the MKH series mikes.

Lang

on 16/10/02 8:19 AM, Lang Elliott at  wrote:

> Vicki:
>
> The onboard preamps in the TCD-D10 are not high quality preamps. I use a
> Sound Devices MP2 preamp (www.sounddevices.com) for providing phantom power
> and preamplification before inputting into my TCD D10 using the line-in
> jacks. This results in a lower noise floor and much better preamp
> specifications. Is the difference audible? Yes, especially when you use
> really good mikes such as the Sennheiser MKH series mikes.
>
> Lang

Lang, Walt and All,

Thanks for your comments on this.  I am using Sennheiser ME series mics with
the TCD-D10, those mics are not as good quality as the MKH series of course.
Would I still be likely to get a lower noise floor if using these mics with
a pre-amp?

Vicki Powys
Australia

> on 15/10/02 6:29 PM, DeafinONEear at  wrote:

>> Recording into a consumer deck using portable preamps like
>> the Sound Devices MP-2 and those by Grace, paired with some decent mics,
>> are going to sound ten times better than running straight into a pro deck
>> like the HHB.....
>

> So is there an advantage in using pre-amps when using a pro recorder (e.g.
> Sony TCD D10 DAT)?
>
> Vicki Powys
> Australia

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT