Re: pre-amps

Subject: Re: pre-amps
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 23:08:05 -0400
Lang Elliott wrote:
> Walt:
>
> My guess is that the preamps in the HHb are considerably better than thos=
> in the Sony TCD-D10, which have received a number of complaints over the
> years. I think you would probably gain little by using outboard preamps, =
but
> Vicky might gain significantly because she's using a TCD-D10.
>
> But then, who knows for sure?
>
> I  never bothered using my TCD-D10 onbaord preamps because of the critici=
sms
> I read early on, plus the fact that my recorder doesn't provide phantom
> power, so logically I decided to use a high quality preamp with phantom
> power. Because the HHb provides phantom, and because HHb says they're usi=
ng
> very good preamps, I would probably use them unless I came across some we=
ll
> documented studies to the contrary.

I would agree here. I've gotten some pretty good results off the Portadisc.

I now have a MP2, bought primarily as I needed it's MS capabilities.
I've not had it long enough or used it out in the field enough to be
sure about anything.

It's not a lot of improvement if used feeding the HHb's line input.
Which tends to show that the two pre's are much more on par. There is a
little edge for the MP2. Probably not enough to be worth the trouble for
just that. And I don't think the difference would show up except with
mics like the MKH.

I have found I can do better by using a -15 dB attenuating cable
connection between, and setting the HHb on Mic with -15 dB of internal
attenuation. That combo gives about the best sound I've found so far. I
think a lot of that is that it's set up so neither pre is working all
that hard, sitting closer to their sweet spot. The combo also allows a
bit more gain than the Portadisc alone with the MKH.

The MP2 high pass filters don't seem as good as those on the Portadisc,
another reason to do the Mic input route as that filtration is not
available if the Portadisc is set to Line.

The limiter on the MP2 shows some promise, need some frogs to really
find out.

I've read the same things about the TCD-D10. Many seem to liken it to
consumer level gear, similar to the minidisc walkman. So, if you are
going to stick with that recorder, then the MP2 should improve things.
You certainly seem to get good sound from your setup.