Re: pre-amps

Subject: Re: pre-amps
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 03:21:02 -0400
Vicki Powys wrote:
> on 16/10/02 8:19 AM, Lang Elliott at  wrote:
>

>>Vicki:
>>
>>The onboard preamps in the TCD-D10 are not high quality preamps. I use a
>>Sound Devices MP2 preamp (www.sounddevices.com) for providing phantom power
>>and preamplification before inputting into my TCD D10 using the line-in
>>jacks. This results in a lower noise floor and much better preamp
>>specifications. Is the difference audible? Yes, especially when you use
>>really good mikes such as the Sennheiser MKH series mikes.
>>
>>Lang
>

> Lang, Walt and All,
>
> Thanks for your comments on this.  I am using Sennheiser ME series mics with
> the TCD-D10, those mics are not as good quality as the MKH series of course.
> Would I still be likely to get a lower noise floor if using these mics with
> a pre-amp?

ME series mics are only a little noisier than MKH, still quieter than
consumer level pre's. I'd think it would help. It is a big chunk of
change. The Preamps that are very low noise are generally not cheap, and
it's not worth doing with a noisy pre. The MP2 I got was used, took
months of looking and still was nearly $500. List is much more. You have
to decide if it's worth it. And be aware it's only one step in a endless
chain of possible cost.

It's a balancing act. Some part of your system will always be the first
to exhibit it's self noise as you bring the gain up. How much you would
gain replacing that source with something quieter is a matter of what
would then be your limiting component.

The other part of the balancing act is simply carting the extra piece
around. It adds weight, it adds connecting cords, it adds more batteries
needed. And another set of controls to tend on another lump to cart
around. My own inclination when I originally looked at this before going
with the portadisc was that it would be better to spend more for a
simpler field kit. I will be using the MP2 with the portadisc some of
the time now, but am not forced to use it all the time. I have the
option of either way. It is much nicer to have a system that's only two
lumps, a recorder and a mic.

Do note that the differences in sound are not earth shattering. You will
gain a little, a bit more you can record.  Most any modern recorder is
better than the best of not long ago.