Re: pre-amps

Subject: Re: pre-amps
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 19:22:56 -0400
Vicki Powys wrote:
> on 15/10/02 6:29 PM, DeafinONEear at  wrote:

>  > Recording into a consumer deck using portable preamps like
>
>>the Sound Devices MP-2 and those by Grace, paired with some decent mics,
>>are going to sound ten times better than running straight into a pro deck
>>like the HHB.....
>
>   So is there an advantage in using pre-amps when using a pro recorder (e=
.g.
> Sony TCD D10 DAT)?

Don't be too much of a believer in statements like that. If you rate the
MP-2 as 100% better than a consumer MD, then the HHb is only a few
percentage points below that.

The main advantage in using a external pre with the HHb is in that both
the MP-2 and the HHb can be set on the optimum gain level for quality.
This level will be a bit above what you can get with the HHb alone.

A bigger advantage of the MP-2 to me is that it can do onboard decoding
of M/S stereo to the headphones, either with or without decoding the
recorded signal.

Note unless you are using quality mics, it's probably a moot point.

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:22:50 2005
Message: 23