Re: Re: SASS - MKH110 modification

Subject: Re: Re: SASS - MKH110 modification
From: Dan Dugan <>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 12:03:51 -0700
Walt, you wrote,

>I'm not using the phantom power on the MP-2. But did find a considerable
>current drain into the MP-2 from the mic with direct connect.

The MP-2's transformer would be conducting the 5V to ground through
the coil, also magnetizing it in the process! This would reduce the
saturation level for loud sounds. Who knows what pulling the voltage
down at the output does to the performance of the mike's circuitry,
can't be good.

>The
>Portadisc must have AC coupling inside it as it does not have that
>problem.

Mebbie it's a transformerless preamp? All such have input caps.

>I'm now at the point trying to sort out a value for the cap as
>Sennheiser did not specify. And that's all they show, just a cap symbol.

Big, big, big cap in series for low-frequency response. What's the
output Z of the mike?

>They did spec the cap on the 8volt line at 500mf.

a filter cap to ground?

>Also speced a 8 volt
>zenar in there, but I've not been able to locate those, so just have the
>voltage adjusted with trimpots.
>
>I'll be happy for any suggestions on that part if you have worked with
>the mic.

I haven't, just looked it up in old files here.

-Dan