Re: Re: SASS - MKH110 modification

Subject: Re: Re: SASS - MKH110 modification
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 21:33:12 -0400
evertveldhuis wrote:

> Could you provide a top view picture? That would make it easier to
> see how the angle of the mic is.

I will get a photo up, probably tomorrow. Did not think of that view, as
it's the same as the original SASS for angle. About 70 degrees between
mics, each face is about a 35 degree angle to the back plane. Meaning
that the front angle between the two faces is 250 degrees, 125 degrees
each side of centerline. Makes the angle between the two faces (around
the back) 110 degrees. Been a little while since I measured it all, but
I'm pretty sure that's right.

The other dimension of note, the distance between mics is pretty close
to 170mm. Note that this compares to the ORTF setup that came up today
for spacing, the SASS is another that uses human head spacing.

I do have a couple sketch drawings of the original SASS I copied from a
Crown pdf when I was thinking about molding my own housing:
http://frog_recordist.home.mindspring.com/naturerecordists/SASS-P-1s.jpg
http://frog_recordist.home.mindspring.com/naturerecordists/SASS-P-2s.jpg
The mics are perpendicular to the faces.

> I must say these pictures in your last postings are nice to look at,
> makes me wanna have them!
> The mics, not the pictures :)

I've been doing photography as long or longer than recording, most of my
life. Those are from my digital camera.

They are nice mics, I feel a little better about my flat wallet. Like
I'm getting somewhere. If it will just keep raining maybe I'll have some
fall frogs calling early. I'm also waiting for a good thunderstorm to
see what the 110's can do with that. Meanwhile, tonight I'm molesting a
piece of brass, another tripod adapter. I have the tap and die for the
5/8" x 27tpi mic tripod thread, very oddball size, those tools took
nearly forever to obtain.